10 years ago a movie came out that would change our view on love forever, “The Notebook”! I remember the moment that I first realized the old man narrating the story was Noah and the old lady he was telling it to was Allie, I let out a heart wrenching noise. I remember hearing Billie Holiday’s “I’ll Be Seeing You” throughout the movie and bawling because it sounded like love. “The Notebook” is a must watch every single time it is on TV and 1 of the maybe 5 DVD’s I DVD I own, it is the kind of movie you put on because you need a good cry. While it is on the top of damn near every woman’s favorite movie list it and is known as one of the best romance movies of all time, it is a real son of a bitch! “The Notebook” left women all over the world yearning for their very own “Noah” and unfortunately Noah lives and dies on the big screen!
Here are 6 ways “The Notebook” ruined love for us:
1. Love Letters. Noah wrote 1 love letter every single day for a whole year to Allie, that is 365 letters from 1 man to 1 woman for 1 freaking year. Let’s be real here most men don not even include a card with gift or on holidays, let alone a whole freaking letter everyday… “Just because”. Thanks Noah!
2. The Little Things. Oh yeah remember that one time Allie briefly mentioned what her dream house would look like, from the color of the awning to the specific details of the rooms. Hell I barely remembered it an hour into the movie; meanwhile Noah not only remembered it years later he freaking built it for her. Oh and that’s not even the best part…they were not even together, he built Allie her dream house years after she briefly mentioned it and she was engaged to another man! I’ve dated guys who forget that I’m deadly allergic to nuts let alone my dream house! Thanks Noah!
3. Fights. Allie and Noah fought like cats and dogs but it lasted at most 4 minutes. After the fight they would end up having an ice cream fight and licking it off each other’s face or have wild passionate sex after a hard core make out session in the rain. My fights last at least 4 days and if my boyfriend ever put ice cream in my face I would probably kill him. Thanks Noah!
4. Cheating. While engaged to another man Allie went to go visit Noah (at the dream house he built for her) and they had a love fest, Allie even met Noah’s “lover” and it was a smooth and civil operation. Allie even told her fiancé about the affair and there were no guns drawn no name calling, everything was rainbows and butterflies. In this world if you are unsure about your current situation and cheat and your finance finds out you can kiss that ring goodbye and chances are the person you cheated with probably won’t stick around either. Cool story Noah!
5. Understanding, Patience and Support. So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me every day. Will you do something for me please? Just picture your life for me. 30 years from now, 40 years from now? What’s it look like? If it’s with him, go. Go! I lost you once I think I can do it again. If I thought that’s what you really wanted…Would you stop thinking about what everyone wants? Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do YOU want?” Said no man ever…except Noah!
6. Ryan and Rachel. Noah and Allie were for show fine, whatever but Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams was the real life version and we fell in love with them because it gave us hope that “The Notebook” kind of love was real. But guess what they did not last! They broke up! They break our hearts!
So thank you “The Notebook” for captivating our little naïve hearts but “F You” for setting such unrealistic expectations for love. Happy Anniversary!
*Side note while writing this post I had to forget I had a boyfriend because he's totally not normal and is very "Noah" except for the cheating and fighting part, I would kill him if he put ice cream in my face.